Family Law


Whether you are struggling for child custody, going through a divorce, or being harassed by cps, I understand that all forms of Family Law are charged and emotional. That is why I feel it is the role of the attorney to tell the truth.

Shoot Straight

I will always shoot straight with you. I will tell you exactly how it is.

If the facts are against you, I will tell you the facts are against you. It may not be what you want to hear, but you need to know the truth so you can have realistic goals.

For example, let’s say you are the father and you want custody of your three-year old. Unless you have something really harsh on the mother, it’s probably not going to happen. But we still have options and we might be able to get close. Maybe we can get joint custody. Maybe we can get extra visitation rights.

My advantage: I know the judges in East Texas. This is extremely important, especially in Family Law. If you know the judge, you know what the judge will do. You know what their policies are. You know how they see things.

Flat Fee

In the case of amicable divorces, I can help you save money by providing a flat fee. Don’t let an attorney bill you by the hour for something that should be cut-and-dried. I will look over your case and provide you with a fixed price.

Call today to schedule a no-obligation consultation.

I focus my practice on all forms of Family Law, including:

  • Divorce
  • Custody
  • CPS Actions
  • Paternity
  • Property Division
  • Adoption
  • Child Support
  • Contempt
  • Modifications
  • Pre-Nuptials
  • Adjustments

 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How long does it take to get a divorce?
  2. Do I need a “legal separation” from my spouse?
  3. Where can I file for divorce ?
  4. How is property divided between spouses in a divorce?
  5. What is the difference between separate and community property?
  6. How is child support calculated?
  7. What is “standard” visitation?
  8. What are temporary orders?
  9. If my spouse and I have agreed to all the relevant terms, what is the general procedure for obtaining and finalizing the divorce?
  10. Do I have to show fault to get a divorce?

Q: How long does it take to get a divorce?

A: If the spouses have reached an agreement on all of the relevant issues a divorce may be obtained on the 61st day after the divorce petition was filed. If an agreement is not possible and the case must be tried, the length of time is primarily dependent on the Court’s docket and the time it takes the attorneys and parties to prepare for a contested trial. In most of the courts in Smith County the court will require that the parties participate in mediation prior to trial.
Back to top

Q: Do I need a “legal separation” from my spouse?

A: While some states recognize a legal status known as “legal separation,” Texas does not and under the Texas Family Code, spouses are married until they have obtained a divorce.
Back to top
Q: Where can I file for divorce?

A: You can file for divorce in a county in which either you or your spouse has lived for at least 90 days, as long as that same person has lived in Texas for at least six months.
Back to top
Q: How is property divided between spouses in a divorce?

A: The Texas Family Code requires that the Court divide the community property of the spouses “in a manner that the Court deems just and right.” This means that, the Court is not required to divide the property 50-50 and can consider a variety of factors in deciding what is “just and right.” These factors can include fault in the divorce, disparity in earning power, disparity in amount of separate property, etc.
Back to top
Q: What is the difference between separate and community property?

A: Generally, a spouse’s separate property is property that was either:

  • owned by the spouse before marriage
  • acquired by gift or inheritance, or
  • a recovery for a personal injury.

Community property is all property other than separate property. All property owned by either spouse at the time of marriage is presumed to be community property. The party that is asserting the claim of separate property has the burden of proof on that issue.
Back to top
Q: How is child support calculated?

A: In most cases, child support is calculated using a formula in the Texas Family Code. The payor’s monthly “net resources” (a term defined by statute) and multiply that by a percentage which is determined by the number of children at issue (e.g., the percentage for one child would be 20%). The payor is entitled to a reduction if he or she is also responsible for the support of another child.
Back to top
Q: What is “standard” visitation?

A: Most divorces involving children name one parent as the primary Joint Managing Conservator and grant the other parent (also a Joint Managing Conservator) “Standard Possession Order” visitation. The visitation is spelled out in great detail in the statute (Texas Family Code Section 153.312) and should also be spelled out in detail in the Final Decree of Divorce. A very short hand version of the visitation order (assuming both spouses reside within 100 miles) is as follows: the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Friday of every month from Friday at 6:00 p.m. until the following Sunday at 6:00 p.m., every Wednesday (either overnight or 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.), as well as 30 days in the Summer, and additional visitation periods for Spring Break, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, depending on whether it an odd or even numbered year.
Back to top
Q: What are temporary orders?

A: Temporary orders are orders issued by a court, after either a hearing or an agreement by the parties, which are designed to last until the divorce is final. Practitioners sometimes refer to them as “band aid” orders. Temporary orders commonly address issues such as child support, custody and visitation of the children, exclusive use of the marital residence, exclusive use of vehicles, alimony, and interim attorneys fees.
Back to top
Q: If my spouse and I have agreed to all the relevant terms, what is the general procedure for obtaining and finalizing the divorce?

A: It is common for spouses to believe that they have an agreement, but they actually have not addressed all the necessary terms, such as child custody or support, or property division. Assuming all required terms are agreed to in advance of filing, the divorce can be a relatively simple legal procedure. The attorney for the Petitioner (the filing spouse) files the divorce petition and either has the petition served on the other spouse or the other spouse executes a Waiver of Service. The Petitioner’s attorney then drafts an Agreed Final Decree of Divorce and any other necessary documents which are reviewed and signed by the other spouse. The other spouse is free to hire or consult with an attorney of his or her own. After the necessary papers are signed by the parties and attorneys, the Petitioner and his attorney then go to court for an entry hearing to have the Court enter the Decree and other documents.
Back to top
Q: Do I have to show fault to get a divorce?

A:  Texas is a no-fault divorce state which means that it is unnecessary to show that either party was at fault in order to obtain a divorce. It is only necessary to show that there is marital discord and there is no reasonable expectation of reconciliation. However, many fault issues (adultery, cruelty, etc.) are frequently relevant factors in divorce cases because they can have an impact on how the community property is divided, or how custody is decided.
Back to top

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *